Subject: Re: FLASH: Call to Action - Unprotect
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:00:10 +0100

Hi Daniel,

> I find that most developer5s "Protect" your movies. Why?
> Call to unprotect!!! Am I hitting a deaf ear?
> but we all want to learn from the best.
Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your viewpoint) unprotecting
a Flash movie does little to allow one to study the technical techniques
a designer uses. Even when a Flash movie is unprotected when imported
into the Flash editor a Flash movie is flatten into a single layer.
Movie Clips, actions, sound, buttons, etc. are not available. In fact
generally only surface symbols are available. In other words make
backups of your FLAs because you can save little from the .swf file.
Also note that the protection of a Flash .swf is easy to defeat, but it
being there is an additional statement that your work is yours and is
protected by copyright.

There are a lot of sources of FLA files and tutorils to study including:
The Flash Tech Resource - http://www.FlashCentral.com/tech/
FlashZone - http://www.FlashZone.com/FLAs/flas.html
Flasher Net - http://www.flasher.net/source/

Some designers feel their Art is sacrosanct and deserving of absolute
protection but the unique code and techniques that are used in creating
graphics should be made freely and easily to anyone interested. I feel
differently. I believe that the Art, the code and techniques are all
valuable and should be protected. Of course anyone is free to share
their own unique work as they feel fit.