Subject: RE: FLASH: Font problem in flash3
From: David Owen
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:52:14 +0100

Fonts have been vexing me lately in Flash as well. I am on a Mac using ATM
4.0 and should be able to use postscript fonts. Macromedia does not
recommend Postscript and says that Flash is designed to work with True Type.
In fact I used Postscript fonts for some time without incident, through the
workings of ATM.

Lately however I am experiencing a predictible and repeatable behavior that
is suspiciously like a bug. When Flash is first launched after system boot,
I am able to export ONE movie that contains Post Script fonts without
incident. If I try to export the same movie again (or test movie) I am given
the error dialog that warns the outlines can not be found and should appear
aliased in the authoring environment. In fact the fonts in question are
anti-aliased in the authoring environment which indicates that Flash is
finding the outlines without problem. At some point in the export routine
either Flash or ATM is failing to provide the needed outlines, but only
after the first time!

I have talked to MM tech support and all they can offer is that I should use
True Type. I have reinstalled both ATM and Flash with no improvement.

If I want to make a movie that contains PS fonts I must reboot my system,
launch Flash and make One movie.

Needless to say this is irritating.

* Owen *