Subject: Re: FLASH: Charismedia
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 22:13:26 +0100

Hi Richard,

> > I have been aware of Charismedia for some time.
> > Note the MIME is still not set on their server and the site has crashed
> > my browsers several times (I keep forgeting and go there with Netscape).
> How do you know if the MIME is set?
I get a hint when I have no pix, wierd message boxes open up or my
browser crashes. Then I check using technique in MM 12696. Links to why
MIME is needed, how to test and how to set are all at:
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Server
Every Flash Developer should know if his server has the MIME set for
Flash and the only way to do this is by a proper test. I have even
provided a set of files to make testing of MIME extremely fast and easy.
These files can be used to monitor whether the MIME has been set
correctly on a server and are 100% reliable. They require a Flash
capable browser other than MSIE 3+ Win 95/98/NT. If you only have MSIE
3+ Win 95/98/NT just post a message to a friend or the List. If you have
the test files up, it will take only seconds to determine if the MIME is
set or not.

> I viewed the site with netscape
> Was I just lucky?
Yes, there is no way to know if your browser will work correctly if the
MIME is not set (except for MSIE 3+ Win 95/98/NT) except by checking.