Subject: Re: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: jim smith
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:58:19 +0100

At 1:29 pm +0100 on 27/4/99 you said:
>Ray Taylor wrote:
>>
>> ... and just to clarify further, I am not pro- or anti- frames any more than
>> I am pro- or anti- flash (though I must admit to confusing the two in my
>> last posting). The same customer-focus tests should apply.
>>
>> But many frames sites are so badly designed that a no-frames version would
>> be better and even with a well-designed frames site, the frames layout
>> doesn't necessarily add any value to the equivalent no-frames version.
>
>there's more to it than this; Frames implementations in the browsers are
>awful. The concept is awful. The crappy workarounds they did to make the
>back buttons still work, the Frame-selection mechanism, the inability to
>bookmark. The things Frames do to HTTP1.1 Keepalives. Search engine
>traffic.

these are implementation issues as far as the creators of sites are
concerned, mostly. just because something is hard for us to do it doesn't
mean that it's not a good solution.

thing is, frames usually aren't a good solution. there's still a place for
frames for navigation: the problem is that there are so few designers who
can design a usable navigation system that most sites framed or not are
counter-intuitive to use. if i see one more site with nav buttons on all
four edges of the page i'll hunt down the designer and spank them.

the main issue is that they're not *necessary*: if cleanly architected
sites like the BBC news site can function without frames, then what purpose
do they serve?

>These things all break the usability that people expected and originally
>*got* from their browsers. They turned the most elegant information
>dissemination mechanism yet devised into an ugly, unworkable mess.
>
>How many more reasons do you want?
>
>Can anyone name a large site that still uses frames?

anything OM's ever done?

jim smith - jimatflenser [dot] co [dot] uk - http://www.flenser.co.uk 0961 319040
everything has been said, provided words do not change their meanings or
meanings their words -- alpha 60