Subject: RE: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:25:14 +0100

On Tuesday, April 27, 1999 6:33 PM, Phil Gyford [SMTP:philatgyford [dot] com] wrote:
> At 17:15 27/04/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Depends on what you mean by large, but try
> >
> >http://www.entexpress.com
>
> Tell me you're not holding this up as an example of good web design!?

Nope, just answering the original question (name a large site that uses frames)

> >http://shoppersuniverse.co.uk
>
> I don't see how those frames offer anything a non-frame site couldn't do.

Couldn't agree more, but still fits the bill.

> >http://www.eu.levi.com/
>
> "Oooh, a let's pop a new window out and design to that because it's easier
> than bothering with all those nasty variably-sized windows people have."

Yup, a complete dog to navigate IMHO, but still a large site that uses frames.

If a site uses frames, and the users are happy, then the client will generally
be happy. If the users complain in large numbers (or stop coming) because of
the frames, and the agency says to the client, "Stuff 'em, we're sticking with
frames" then the client should look elsewhere.

We could go around in circles for ever, bitching about technology that we
love/hate (I hope we won't), but at the end of the day you should look at the
site and ask if it performs its task to the best of its ability. If not, and it
is causing poor performance (e.g. low sales, negative effect on branding, too
few visitors) then change it, either by using a more appropriate technology, or
making better use of the one you've got. I cannot think of any existing web
technology that has no benefit whatsoever, and I wouldn't rule out any simply
because there are some (many) bad examples of its use out there.

Robin

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited