Subject: Re: UKNM: Frames and Search Engines
From: Charles Meaden
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:36:27 +0100

>>They say to you "we want to be higher in the search engines", after
>explaining to them about frames and search engines...what would you advise
>them to do?

First:
Analyse their log files to see exactly where their traffic is coming from.
This will show them which search engines are the most effective and which
ones they are recieving no traffic from.

Second:
Determine their budget - no point advising a complete rewrite if they
havn't got the money!

Third:
Look at the site and see if there are some areas where frames do not always
need to be used. This areas can be then be fed to the search engines to
generate additional traffic.

Alternatively create seperate framesets for different sections of the sites
as this will allow you to tag each frameset individually.

The problem with just fiddling with the meta tags, is most framed sites
only have one set.

Hope this is of use

Regards

Charles