Subject: Re: UKNM: Banners? Wot banners?
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:17:45 +0100

---Sean Phelan <seanatmultimap [dot] com> wrote:
> Getting back to the online version... do other people on this list perceive
> the removal of banners as benign? I know I may be a little biased here, but
> I regard it as cheating on the implicit contract that makes, and keeps,
> quality content available for free.

This goes to heart of a debate about avoidance of advertising. In the
UK there is certainly a hardcore section of the ABC1 audience who will
avoid print/TV advertising like the plague - the last research I saw
indicated it was something like 25%! This is a headache for planners,
needless to say.

The solution? Focused offerings that are designed to give the user a
valuable experience (inform, entertain, etc.) with a careful eye on
branding. You may ignore something that is a banner per se, but if
it's say a Java banner (or other) giving you up to date traffic stats
and is sponsored by a motoring-related brand then you aren't going to
go out of your way to avoid it and hopefully brand recall should be
elevated.

There are a million variations you can come up with to fit the
circumstances. How about a portal site for homemakers sponsored by
Flash cleaner in Macromedia Flash? <GROAN> Two for the price of one,
tho'...

The sponsored/branded content will be the route we will go down more
and more as time goes on...

Sajid Mohammed