Subject: Re: UKNM: Banners? Wot banners?
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:27:23 +0100

Health Warning: There seems to have been an excess of brain-dead
absolutism on this list recently (you know who you are). I'm gonna try
and avoid it now...

1. There *is* a section of the audience who avoid advertising. What
percentage it is, it's hard to tell. Which is why I cited the last
survey I saw and used the caveat 'something like'. Whether it's 2.5%
or 25%, it's a lost revenue opportunity.

2. No difference between advertising and sponsorship? Can regular
Evening Standard readers (dead tree version) name the top three
spending advertisers in the paper? Without consulting a copy or stats?
Didn't think so. (Any AEP folks care to illuminate us?)

3. This is *another* pointless debate as Ray is correct in pointing
out that a small fraction of the folks at home will bother downloading
WebWash anyway.

Have a good Beltane!

Sajid Mohammed

---Ray Taylor <tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com> wrote:

> Sajid Mohammed <g23atrocketmail [dot] com> wrote:
>
> >..In the
> >UK there is certainly a hardcore section of the ABC1 audience who
will
> >avoid print/TV advertising like the plague - the last research I saw
> >indicated it was something like 25%! This is a headache for planners,
> >needless to say.
>

> No there isn't. There may be a group of ABC1s who _say_ they will
avoid
> print/TV advertising but that is a long way from actually avoiding
it. A lot
> of ABC1s are afraid to admit that they watch Coronation Street, like
to read
> the Sun (when the pick someone else's up on the train) and in many
cases
> actually enjoy TV ads - at least the ones that are done well. And even
> anoying ads with teeth-grating ditties have influence on people who
will
> tell you they are above all that if you ask them
<snip>