Subject: Re: UKNM: Premium Rate Calls
From: Russell Findlay
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:23:58 +0100

Premium rate numbers are used on the web , but not generally for simple
dial-up access (except in Japan - where this is similar but more expensive
to 0845) Some providers use a simple premium rate service for content -
downloading a dialer into your PC, which then dials the premium rate number.
This is used (using international premium rate numbers - i.e. you end up
calling the Seychelles) for "adult content" and using IN platforms in for
instance the US, where it can be used to pay for digitally transferred goods
such as music / services such as fan club membership. There are legal
restrictions on using a phone bill for purchasing physical goods in some
jurisdictions and issues around collection for phone companies. The best
site to learn more is www.echarge.com

ALEX GORRIE, 'Internet Pay-Per-View' Service New payment system offers
users greater security A Web-site dedicated to horse racing has this week
become the first in the UK to deploy the eCharge payment method, a new
method of paying over the Internet without having to use a credit card.