Subject: Re: UKNM: Tesco's token effort
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:04:01 +0100

Neil Morgan <neil [dot] morganate-Space [dot] co [dot] uk> asks:

> Ray,
>
> You wrote about Tesco's token effort at online sales ...
<snip>
> Are you saying that 'young singles/professionals who cannot be bothered to
> go shopping' are not a legitimate target market? I thought they were a
> large part of the existing web market.

No. They are a prime target market. But they are only a minority of baked
beans buyers. The point being that Tesco is apparently targeting a minority
demographic (the early adopters) only, rather than going all out to target
the whole UK market - housewives _and_ early adopters and everyone else.
Hence my comment.

> When the other 11 million UK adults
> come on-line perhaps Terry will target the housewives.

Ah! so Tesco, otherwise known as an innovator (witness the phenomenally
successful Tesco Clubcard) is happy to adopt a "wait and see" attitude to
online? Is that what you are saying?

I suspect the company is more forward thinking than you give them credit
for, otherwise they would not have launched one of the first branded ISP
services - TescoNet (which I helped out with in the dim and now distant
past) - ahead of Freeserve.

Also, the announcement that they are hiving off Tesco Direct as a
wholly-owned subsidiary suggests that Tesco Direct might (I'll keep an open
mind) at some point become a serious (the first) direct/online player.

But the proof of the pudding is whether the housewife buys it. And let's
have an end to this absurd prejudice that ordinary people over the age of 25
do not use the internet. The internet user demographic is fast becoming the
typical UK household demographic.

The only feedback I have had from housewives about Tesco Direct and
Sainsbury's equivalent is negative. Early-adopter friends think it's great
because, as I said, it saves them the hassle, they never look at the sell-by
date (see earlier discussions), and they don't care if it costs them more.
And if it doesn't arrive the same day they just book a take-away instead.

Should we make anything of Tesco Direct's Helen Bridgett moving on to
pastures new (or should that be lawns new?)?

Perhaps a spokesperson from Tesco could help us on this point?

Tesco? I think they're great (not Tesco Direct). But Dinosaurs is Dinosaurs
and I'd rather be a small furry mammal when the comet hits.

Ray Taylor