Subject: RE: UKNM: Dot Com Fever
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:22:23 +0100

Glen Collins wrote:
>What did we all think of the programme then?
>
>I particularly liked the 3 chaps who were looking for £0.5m funding for a
>mainstream, b2c & b2b renting & selling property web service, who stated in
>a presentation to a VC that the £0.5m seed financing would fund all the
>online and offline marketing / development.
>
>I also enjoyed their exit route strategy which they discussed to the VC,
>which was to go to IPO by the end of the year and then all get out of the
>company at this point as they believed the bubble would burst by or near
>this point. They didn't get funding from this VC.

And when it all went wrong, they wrote it off as a "learning
experience". That old chestnut...

>I wonder how many of the startups out there share this purely short-term
>gold rush view and how many are actually putting real thought into their
>business plan after 2001?
>
>The media love it. It's not surprising.
>
>Be interested in other peoples thoughts on the programme.

I think they should have included some material on consumer confidence and
the views of the media. Interesting though it was, the programme was
rather city-focused.

Can-U-Hack-It
Internet, editorial & publicity services
* www.cuhi.com * www.ukpress.org *

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com