Subject: RE: UKNM: Dot Com Fever
From: Glen Collins
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:53:28 +0100

> They got the money in the end though didn't they. It was
> interesting to see
> how much their attitude had changed by the end of the programme,

Yes, they did get the money, which is rather scary, and suggests to me that
there will be a lot of investors who are putting money into these types of
companies who will lose a lot of money.

They got the money from 'private investors' and possibly suggests that there
is a lack of knowledge on both sides of the camp - ie business plans without
real substance and also people willing to invest in them who don't really
understand the long term aspect of the industry. A match made in heaven
some might argue?!

I am again guessing, but I would suggest their attitude changed because
someone in the know (possibly another new media-knowledgeable VC that
rejected them?) gave them a real insight into what VC's (in the most part)
are looking for .

> to the point of saying that they didn't think that the online bubble was
going to
> burst! Is it?

There's so much talk about the bubble bursting. I think valuations will
start to level off and the companies with unsound business models will
suffer, badly. However, this is the point at which the strong business
models and the (dare I say it) profitable models will come to the front.
Personally I welcome this as we can all stop talking about hype and start
talking about real, sustainable businesses - don't know about anyone else's
thoughts on this?

Glen

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com