Subject: RE: UKNM: What is e-business?
From: Marshall, Jeff
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:53:46 +0100

Ray Taylor said:
> e-business is fundamental, and I would like to ask for
> others' views.

Here's my 2 centsworth:

Any business (b2b or b2c) needs to meet 3 fundamental objectives (apologies
to Don Pepper et al):

- acquire new customers
- retain existing customers
- increase the profitability of every customer.

The web/net/newmedia can support any of these fundamental business
objectives, and any business that uses web/net/newmedia to help meet any or
all of these, is in my view, an e-business to a larger or smaller extent.

Examples of how net/web/new media support each are below - but you can make
up your own, and the examples for each grow every day as the incredibly
inventive and fertile minds of the new media community invent new
approaches.

Acquisition - everything from a simple brochure site to raise awareness to
fully integrated on and off-line campaigns, channel management through the
web, etc., etc.

Retention - best achieved through being able to offer increased / new levels
of service. If I can go on-line at my barbers and book my appointment from
my desktop (seeing what's available, rather than asking question after
question over the phone), or if I can use the bulletin board at my local
pub's web site to arrange in impromptu piss-up to celebrate the quiz teams
win in a competition (extending the community, the essence of the pub
experience, to outside opening hours), then I am more likely to remain
hooked into my supplier/customer relationship, less likely to churn.

Profitability - do it better, cheaper. Reduce the cost of
printing/delivering documents by giving me on-line access to the
information, millions of examples here.

Notice, I have not mentioned e-commerce. In my world (not universal, I
know) e-business does not equate to e-commerce. e-commerce is another way
of doing one or all of these 3 basics.

I fully expect some of you to disagree with my definition, and to take issue
with it, but I'm happy where I am. An e-business (to me)is one that uses
web/net/newmedia/wap/whatever to acquire and/or retain and/or increase the
profitability of customers.

Fire away!

Jeff Marshall
WorldWide Web Services Limited
(a member of VIA Net Works Inc.)

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com