Subject: RE: UKNM: "cybersquatter"
From: Stewart Dean
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:31:26 +0100

Cybersquatters = people who buy domain names for a reason other than that is
the name they need for their web project (be it personal or private). If you
buy a domain name because you think someone else is going to pay you for it
then that is cybersquatting.

> If I register the name of a well-known company which is not a
> trademark is
> that cybersquatting?

Only if you intend to make money off the connection with it being a
well-known company name.

> If I register a well-known person's name e.g.
> BaronessMargaretThatcher.com
> is that cybersquatting?

See above.

> If I register my own name, but 1000 other people have that
> name - is that
> cybersquatting?

NO.

> Do I detect a general feeling that speculating by buying lots
> of domain
> names for sale later, is distasteful?

It's the work of scum.

I've heard a lot of BS about free markets etc but I've had one to many good
domains made unavailable to me that are not in use (ie a page that has some
content and actualy maintained). There's nothing worse than checking for
that dream url to find:

Index of /

or

Last Updated 15th Oct 1997

or worse still

This Domain is For Sale...

I'd tar and feather those guilty of these crimes If I had half a chance.

stewart dean - stewartatwebslave [dot] dircon [dot] co [dot] uk

for every off switch there's an on switch
www.webslave.dircon.co.uk

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com