Subject: UKNM: Re: The BBC are losing the plot....
From: rukhsana
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 06:56:37 +0100

I read the Razorfish piece - so true - if it is that easy to get a self
promoting
press release printed can we all send one in?

There isn't a tiny bit of newsworthy 'news' within it - and no mention of
any
other agencies who are probably all feeling the effects of the dotcom rush.
What happened to balanced reporting?

rukhsana <adding to the rant>

http://www.olivemedia.co.uk
http://www.oilzine.com

On 17 Apr 00, at 15:58, UKNM Digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:21:21 +0100
> From: "Chris Meachin" <cmeachinatagency [dot] com>
> Subject: UKNM: The BBC are losing the plot....
>
> Has anybody else noticed the BBC's increasingly bizarre, biased and
> inaccurate reporting on new media and the internet?
>
> Their recent article related to Razorfish
> (http://news2.thls.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_676000/676197.stm)
> was nothing short of free advertising and contained many little gems which
> approached the hilarious.
>
> Another report about BT's floatation of Yellow Pages
> (http://news2.thls.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid%5F711000/711621.st
> m) was quite amazing in it's inaccuracies: "The first unit to be floated
> on the markets is the lucrative Yellow Pages directories and e-commerce
> business, which will be renamed Yell."
>
> Hmmm. Yell has existed for several years now and is a hugely well know and
> successful site. How they missed that I'm not sure.
>
> There have been a whole host of other half-truths, untruths and
> inaccuracies over the last few months that have seriously undermined my
> confidence in the BBC's ability to report anything without appearing
> naive, gullible and ill-informed.
>
> The authority with which BBC news presents itself only compounds matters:
> Has the organisation that once defined objective news reporting finally
> lost the plot? Is this new fangled 'internet' such a novelty to them that
> they are blinded by it's complexity and overwhelmed to the point where
> they give up and try making it up?
>
> I only hope that the author of these pieces has now been safely returned
> to the drama and fiction department where they certainly belong.
>
> </rant>
>
> Chris

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com