Subject: Re: UKNM: "cybersquatter"
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:12:40 +0100

> << Again, legally a grey area - but here we have the .com confusion.
> 'com' is officially a US domain >>
> Really?
>
> It was my understanding that .com = commercial .edu = education .org =
> organisation.
> Although originating in the US from the Defense Dept these were open to
any
> country The US have certainly 'appropriated' .com in the sense that they
> never bothered to encourage US companies to use .us but I am not aware
that
> .com is officially intended for US companies.
> Anyone can now register .org names. I believe .edu is still reserved for
> education as is .ac.uk in the UK
>
> Michael Trott

Yes Michael, but if you'd taken the entire message in context, it would have
been clear that I meant that if somebody who has a legal claim to a name or
trademark in the UK, and wished to secure a '.com' of that name - they could
very well be challenged by an individual or organisation who owned that name
or trademark in the US.

No prizes for guessing who would win such a battle...

Tim Ireland
www.designercity.com
www.buymybook.co.uk

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com