Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Tim Hayward
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:57:44 +0100

Some bright spark tries to sell me beeb.com on average once every three
days. Their numbers look splendid and I'm sure that if we still had
clients who were dim enough to believe numbers, that in itself would be
a compelling reason. But can we have a small sanity check here?
What beeb.com actually offers is bit of a 'bait and switch'. Their URL
must be one of the most highly publicised in the UK today and the BBC
is, very sensibly, attempting to leverage its ability to self publicise
into the NM. If they continue to piss away this opportunity by failing
to back it with anything other than 'LadTV Rechauffe' then they're truly
the dinosaur we always expected.

In short, though the numbers are nice, I can't see it sustaining it's
bruited position as a 'portal' - and if the beeb aren't doing it, who
is?

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately ascribed to
stupidity".

Tim Hayward
Digital Media Strategist
HHCL + P