Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Mike Bracken
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:36:09 +0100

At 04:11 PM 8/21/98 +0100, Ray Taylor wrote:
>Value is created by investment. BBC is investing in the product in a big way
>(not necessarily efficiently) and making good use of established capital
>assets in the form of brand names and intellectual property rights.
>jim sterne:
>Bingo.

Bingo? Bollocks more like.

How to make good use of established capital assets. Well, I would say it's
not to spend a fortune (of public money) on sites that repeat TV programmes
without offering much in the way of interactive services, etc.

The BBC's programmes are good. On TV. On the Web, they suck the big one, and
until the BBC realises that the Net is not 'the third broadcast medium' -
that it's not a broadcast medium at all - then we can just keep throwing our
license fee money away.

I'd make two exceptions - the news and teletubbies.

brax

Mike Bracken
Senior Producer, The Guardian New Media
T: 0171 239 9859