Subject: RE: UKNM: Search engine promotions
From: Elizabeth Van Couvering
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:05:28 +0100

Jamie wrote:

<SNIP>
>(2) Do a contra-deal with a big search engine so they can force your
results to the top (or just pay them !)

[EVC] Well, we don't accept payment and won't bias our search results, but
this doesn't seem to be true of Lycos, according to press coverage on their
recent deal with Virgin. According to the Silicon news story:

"Lycos' software will allow Virgin Net to offer keyword searching to its
120,000 subscribers. It is expected to boost page impressions by up to 1.8
million per month.

The function will allow advertisers to target their products directly to
Virgin's subscribers, via their own catalogues. For example, a publisher or
retailer could reserve the word 'book' which would automatically put their
product or company at the top of the search list to Virgin's subscribers.
Current advertisers on Virgin Net include the BBC, Citibank and TBS."

What this says to me is they are paying for search results. I have to say I
find this editorially dubious.

>(4) Learn how search engines work, not exacly a black art, but you may need
to do some searching on the web to find out how they work,

>http://www.searchenginewatch.com is a good starting point for this.Anyone
who tell you they have 'super insider info' is talking rubbish, except
Elizabeth (Van Couvering) who can tell us all how Excite works ;-)

[EVC] Gee, thanks for the plug, Jamie! But actually we tell Danny Sullivan
all our secrets, so he's yer man. And he lives in London now and is partial
to a drink!

Regards,

E.
Elizabeth Van Couvering
Programme Manager, Marketing & Communities
Excite Europe
+44 171 447 1832 - evcatexcite [dot] com

http://www.excite.co.uk - http://www.excite.fr - http://www.excite.de -

http://se.excite.com - http://nl.excite.com