Subject: RE: UKNM: Branding Hell...
From: Bunder, Leslie
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:58:41 +0100

I wouldn't really blame FunMail for snapping up 3,500 plus domains. While
they may have some very good ones, they also have plenty more that would not
be any good for a Web business but are ideally suited to their business of
free Web-based e-mail. So I wouldn't describe them as all being "choice",
sure some of them are very good names, some of them are not!

Don't forget that FunMail itself is a start-up and its business model is
based on having domain names that it can link e-mail off! So of course they
are bound to want to snap up names! After all, Funmail needs them for its
own start-up!

The question for domain names is not so much what FreeMail has, but rather
what domain names are still possible to register with a bit of creative
thinking.

Also, out of the 200,000 or so .co.uk domains now registered, how many are
now not being used. Anyone remember trigger.co.uk???? This has not been
used since issue two of trigger appeared and then went away!

So if you are looking for good names to descirbe your business, be creative.
If the name has alreasdy been snapped up and it is not doing anything, offer
something for that domain to the owner, they might not be a cybersquatter
and willing to do a reasonable deal.

There's still plenty of good names out there within the co.uk domain arena.

Leslie
Leslie Bunder
Project Manager, TDL InfoSpace
e-mail: Leslie [dot] Bunderatinfospaceuk [dot] com (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
Web: www.infospace.co.uk
tel: 01252 390516 (UK) +44 1252 390516 (outside UK)
mobile: 07010 701967 (UK) or +44 7010 701967 (outside UK)
Thomson House, 296 Farnborough Road, Hants, GU14 7NU