Subject: Re: UKNM: Branding Hell...
From: Greg Crockart (Hyperlink plc)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:30:13 +0100

Tim Ireland wrote:

> 2. Funmail is fun, free and brings joy to *well* over 3,500 people, would
> you prefer these names were reserved for 3,500 'entrepreneurs?

> 3. I didn't see *any* brown paper envelopes addressed to Nominet, the
> suggestion of a 'special arrangement' sours your point.

Funmail certainly brings me joy and happiness everyday. I am not
*blaming* Funmail for anything, in fact I admire then greatly for having
implemented the idea. I was pointing out the way in which control of
domain naming policy has changed in this country (potentially for the
better). Only a few year ago I had to fight to register a .co.uk domain
name because the 'committee' decided that it was not representative of
the company name (a law firm in this case). At the time a registered
company number had to be supplied, and if the name of the registering
company did not (in the opinion of those on the mailing list) match the
domain name being registered it would be rejected.

The 'special arrangement' I referred to was in regards to using the
Funmail domains for anything other than e-mail (Web, FTP etc.)

It is also interesting that we were all awaiting the introduction of
.web .nom .store and so on because it was felt that all of the 'best'
.com domains had been registered, but that's another story...

cheers,

Greg