Subject: RE: UKNM: XML
From: Sarah Clelland
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:10:55 +0100

>I have heard that XML is the way forward in terms of web design and
development.<

According to the developers here at Snow Valley, XML is the future.

Really basically, as far as I understand, the 3 key benefits are:

1.Extensibility - web solutions which are built using XML can be enhanced
easily. At the moment the time and costs involved in scrapping all or part
of your existing solutions and building new ones to meet demands in new
technology and devices are very prohibitive. XML eliminates the need for
rebuilding from scratch.

2. Backward capability - XML allows your new, extended technology to be
compatible with older software.

3. Critical mass - XML is being developed by the World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C) and is embedded in WWW technology, which should help to ensure
that it achieves critical mass as the key language of the future.

There's loads of general info at www.xml.com.

However to really blow your mind, read David Siegel's "Futurize Your
Enterprize". The latter part is really amazing - he suggests that by 2010
XML will have completely changed our lives. And even if it is all
mere supposition, the fact that he reckons XML will more or less
eliminate the need for estate agents makes it worth the £13 alone.

Sarah Clelland
Snow Valley
www.snowvalley.com
020 7250 1056