Subject: RE: UKNM: Web Design Agencies
From: Paul Canty
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:42:10 +0100

On 23 August, Duncan wrote...

DC> Maybe you're missing the point here

Right back atcha (of course)!

>> amon is an experimental site featuring content that suits that
>> particular style.

>> Of course there are gratuitous use of Flash sequences on loads of
>> sites, but in this case I think it fits the subject matter well and
>> shows what the "product" is about. Sites like this offer very different
>> "products and services" to portals and ecom sites, but they are no less
>> valid just because they are experimental.
>>
>> The web isn't just for transferring information. Its a place where
>> freedom of speech is hanging on by its fingernails and where
>> experimentation should still be encouraged and promoted.

DC> Information is data with meaning - if data has no meaning, it is not
DC> information. Design is not part of the marketing mix - try reading
DC> 'Marketing for Beginners/Dummies/Designers (no offence)' and find a
DC> reference to that comment.

Maybe I didn't explain very well - the point I was so clumsily trying to
make was that marketing is a form of communication (I think it said that in
chapter 1 of marketing for beginners). Websites are often (but not
always ;) used as marketing tools (in the mix, so to speak). As a key
part of "multimedia" communication, design is pretty fookin important in
getting the point across, and there are loads of ways of
"getting the message across" digitally - thats one of the really cool
things about it.

Oh, and by the way, I'd say there is a whole shedload of "information"
online that means nothing to a great many people, but technically you
are right about that information / data thing (it covered that in chapter
two).

And thanks, that book is first on my Christmas list! :)

Have you read "The Etiquette Advantage in Business : Personal Skills for
Professional Success", it is a good read... ;)

>> There's no point getting information quickly if it means nothing to the
>> person its aimed at. Design is a key part of the marketing mix and just
>> because it uses Flash doesn't mean its art-wank and doesn't sell stuff!

DC> </I've no hair left to tear out>
DC> </Sorry - it's late and I can't bear the crap any more>

DC> Oh, for feck's sake - have you seen preloaded.com? I mean to say, have
we
DC> learnt nothing?

We have here... to be honest (and here I shit you not), the site was
put up back in Jan to act as a holding page whilst we worked on a larger
offering, but it was so well received, we left it - go figure eh?

The site is successful in attracting the kind of clients we want to work
with. If we were interested in developing ecom solutions and trying to
attract blue chip multinationals, then our site would be very different.
We aren't, so it isn't.

For us, the site served its purpose, even though it doesn't
contain mission statements, case studies, partnership deals or "offering
its legendery services...."

We are redesigning tho, so I'll give you a shout when its done ;-)

paul canty | p r e l o a d e d | digital media collective
http://www.preloaded.com | http://www.linkdup.com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036