Subject: RE: UKNM: Web Design Agencies
From: Michael Reidy
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:29:58 +0100

Couldn't agree more, David.
But the client likes it.
Aye, there's the rub!

Michael

Michael Reidy
Marketing Director & Online Media
Bespoke Publications Ltd
7 Eastgate
Banstead
Surrey SM7 1RN
England
T. + 44 (0)1737 215200
F. + 44 (0) 1737 356433

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bentley [bentleyatstor [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:bentleyatstor [dot] co [dot] uk)]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 3:10 PM
To: uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com

OK kids, calm down. Though I am always one for good
constructive discussion
it pains me to read mails that are arguing at cross
purposes.

Theoretically design is not part of the marketing mix (which
constitutes the
marketing elements of pr, advertising, packaging etc etc).
It is instead a
component (and the most vital one) that makes up brand
identity and
communications. However it would be fair to say that brand
identity, and
therefore design, is an important element to create
effective marketing
campaigns. So you are both right and wrong.

You guys seem to be quibbling over the minutiae... the real
issue here is
whether the site that we are talking about is worthwhile
within the context
of its purpose and whether Hi-Res is a company worth looking
at as a
potential supplier of web development services. On the first
issue - yes it
has worth and indeed is a very compelling creative product
(bar its
navigation which - though experimental, is a little
confusing - perhaps
that's the point). That was the point of it and therefore
it scores well in
that department. As for the second issue - well that's not
a decision any
of us are going to be making as it is up to the Nick Evans
who posted the
original request for suggestions.

So there we go. Hi-Res are great at what they do and they
have proved that;
they may not be the right company but as that has nothing to
do with us...
who gives a shit.

As for the issue of Flash and its uses - it is great tool
but is more often
than not used in the wrong circumstances, targeted at the
wrong people and
produced badly. When it is done well it can be great. Here
is an example
of... how was it described? "When will designers learn that
people want
information fast, not pseudo-entertainment from clever, but
vacuous flash
sequences" http://www.bespoke.co.uk/

Sorry... couldn't help it Michael. :)

DB

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036