Subject: UKNM: Search Engine Stuff
From: Danny Sullivan
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:08:35 +0100

I've been in a cave while people have kindly pointed to my site over the
past week -- thanks! Some other answers to recent search engine questions
that may be useful:

> About 18 months ago I heard about Yahoo! launching an express
> submissions service in the States. I've hunted high and low
> on yahoo.com but I can find no mention. Anyone know if it's
> still available?

Yes, as has been noted previously -- but also good news, it's finally been
made available to those of us based out of the UK. Previously, only US-based
businesses could use it.

Submit to any category at Yahoo.com or Yahoo.co.uk (oops, uk.yahoo.com --
poor co.uk gets no respect, anymore). Push the Proceed To Step One button
that comes up, then choose the Business Express Submission button. Enter
your info, pay your US $199, and you'll get a yes/no answer within 7 days
(almost all decent sites get in). More help on the programme here:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/bizex/

Have no money??? There's a special UK address for submission support -- if
you submitted, submitted and given up home, try dropping an email as
described here:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/uk/url/url-12.html

(but honestly, pay the $199 and save your time)

> Has anybody seen stats that rank search engines
> by uk useage?

Media Metrix Europe has good stats for top overall sites in the UK, and you
can usually spot the search engines among them -- eventually, I really will
get a page up within my site that summarizes these. Maybe even this month.
Meanwhile, Media Metrix Europe is at:

http://www.mediametrix.com/home.jsp?language=uk

> I have also recently seen some UK research suggesting that the uk
> does use search engine to find sites over other options (ads,
> referrals, etc)

Yes, good UK stats summarized here:
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/00/07-forrester.html

> Any one else know of any good sources of user data for
> Search Engines??

Some of the sources listed on this compilation of search engine stats might
be helpful:

http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/seindex.html

cheers,
danny

Danny Sullivan
Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com
http://searchenginewatch.com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036