Subject: Re: UKNM: The Double Click Delusion
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:07:16 GMT

Steve Johnston <Steve [dot] JohnstonatEntranet [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

> I reckon that a substantial amount of clickthroughs are simple
duplications
> generated by the (ordinary) computer user's inclination to double click on
> things to make them work.

I don't think so, but regardless of whether you are right or wrong, the
solution to the problem of verifying media owners' data is to compile
analyse your own. You can do this using web analyser tools already in place.

But if you are putting substantial investment into web advertising you
should not place too much reliance on the clicks alone. Clicks are very
expensive in the UK. And they are of very little value on their own. What
counts is when a person who, having been brought to the site via a banner
ad, becomes a loyal customer of the site, purchases products, or otherwise
makes use of the services on offer.

On the principle that you cannot manage what you cannot measure, the
important thing to measure is the value of the new customers brought to your
site via the banner. Proper use of tools like Redeye, which track cookies
from the point of entry to the site through to the point of sale, etc, will
help to establish where the best value new customers are coming from, which
creative works best, and the degree to which your site works for them - if a
new visitor is off after two or three clicks within your site then you may
need to rethink the site, and/or rething the point of entry and how you
present the service to your new customers.

If you want loyal customers, not only do you need to provide an excellent
service to keep them, but you need to have a proper plan for acquiring them
in the first place. Measuring the success of a banner campaign purely on the
basis of click-through is shortsighted in my view.

Ray Taylor
eyeconomy - the online advertising experts
+44 020 8249 6313