Subject: Re: UKNM: Beeb changes direction
From: Dave Evans
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:32:08 GMT

Well, as another former beeb employee, I think the 'new direction' sucks
bigtime. It doesn't work for the user; if its about shopping, why are
shopping links always buried in pop-ups, why doesn't beeb actually advise on
the best deals or otherwise endorse particular products and services? (These
are rhetorical questions - BBC Policy won't let them). It doesn't work for
the advertiser; why would I pay for a shopping link which won't let me
advertise my brand until AFTER someone has clicked on it? Problem with beeb
is it wants to have its cake and eat it; it wants to be commercial but not
give up access to public service content and marketing so it ties itself in
knots creating compromised ideas at the behest of BBC Policy. Its a damn
shame as beeb is full of hugely talented people who have to deal with this
nonsense daily. Rant over (I've been dying to get that off my chest!)

David Evans
Head of Internet Services
EB Stores Group Ltd.