Subject: UKNM: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #330
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:19:07 GMT

Just a couple of points:

For every net veteran there someone out there taking their first wobbly
steps on the net. Therefore I think that beeb and the BBC brands (e.g. Top
Gear/Gardeners World) are ideal for reaching to this audience and selling to
them. e.g. You have just watched Changing Rooms and you like the look of
that cheap sideboard - buy it online! The beeb v. BBC is a classic identity
problem for a service that is funded by the general public. Rumour had it
that some sites on beeb were doing so well (and getting more traffic than)
the bbc.co.uk sites that they were transferred from beeb to BBC.

The news from BT is interesting too - I guess because I get the digest
version of this newsletter it won't hit my desktop until this PM. Just a
quick thought: where does this leave the free ISPs? No money from phone
charges, no money from customers for the service. Anyone in their right mind
will also set their homepage to be whatever they want (e.g. bbc.co.uk) -
where do they go from here? How can they re-invent themselves?

On another note: Ray - Are you the Gecko from the Budweiser commercial? ....
let it go, mate!