Subject: UKNM: RE: Convergence?
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:46:07 GMT

Manou Wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, the introduction of the X Box, Dolphin, PS2 and
whatever else that shows up that can make your TV of the future surf the
'net, is not necessarily a replacement for the PC. The PC will still have
its function and place as an access point to the 'net, and as Lois said, it
is a more one-2-one experience than the family/group-oriented TV and sofa
experience. Hence, for those private moments (wink wink), most surfers will
still run off to the PC. Basically, people will use both PCs and TVs to
surf...it depends WHAT they are surfing for...to determine if they use a
mouse or a remote. Simple stuff really.

JB Writes:
Actually, I think it's more interesting to look at the tech-specs of the
different machines with regard to future developments. I think it
demonstrates that there still seems to be divided schools of the way
forward. X-Box and PS2 are definitely 'convergent' machines - where one box
will do plenty of tricks. Whereas Dolphin.... now Gamecube is a games-only
device (which may play mini-DVD movies in the future).

X-Box is Microsofts entry into the home market... I don't think that it will
replace everything that PCs can do (especially the Business operations) but
it has the abilities to do most of the other functions. I mean, most home
users only use PCs for Word, Email and Internet (and, perhaps Excel for
household bills!!). The X-Box is targeted at the home user and, with
Bluetooth or equivalent, will be a box of many tricks. The advantage for
Microsoft is that this product can afford to be loss making or just breaking
even and then they can make their money on ..... er.... software?! Now
there's a surprise!

I think the X-Box is more than just a TV experience device - you have to ask
yourself why it has a large hard drive if it's only going to be playing
games and DVDs.... to be able to save game progress? I don't buy that.