Subject: UKNM: Re: Raffle, draw, fundraising info with a PS2
From: Silas Denyer
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:31:08 GMT

Richard

I think you may have difficulties with this your proposed scenario for this
one, since a prize draw must be freely open to all with no charge. The
moment that you impose a charge (whether the money goes to you or to a
charity) it becomes a lottery.

AFAIK, however, you don't have to provide the same route for entry to the
draw for all people, however (which is how newspapers which you must buy to
get a prize draw competition claim that no purchase is necessary). So, for
instance (& some legal correction from others will be along any moment if
I'm wrong...), if you set up a web interface for the draw which requires a
£10 donation, but place a notice at the bottom of the page that no purchase
is necessary, and that entries on a postcard by mail to your address at
blah, blah received before the closing date will be admitted then you may be
OK. Of course, postcards travel by 2nd class mail, and the last posting date
for Xmas has passed already, etc., etc. so they may have difficulty doing
so....

Of course if this were any form of commercial activity (the £10 bit) then
people might be a little less charitable (no pun intended)....

Anyone else care to comment?

Silas Denyer
Director, Turns Ltd
e. silas [dot] denyeratturns [dot] net