Subject: RE: UKNM: Usefulness of search engines?
From: Darren Wallace
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:56:25 GMT

Search engines are still important in terms of people tracking down your
site - and therefore so is site optimisation - but
as more and more sites appear on the web, so the effectiveness of search
engines drops. Simply, they can't keep up.

I remember reading over a year ago that the #1 ranked engine in terms of
covering all websites globally was www.northenlight.com. However, even this
engine only managed to pick up something like 35% of websites.

Then again, I don't how Google would fare (was it around a year ago?)
I think that the search engine companies realised this some time ago. And
that's why a lot of them rebranded as portals - ie with other reasons to
keep using them (webmail, sticks, news, weather, chat, ecommerce) etc. And
of course this gives them other revenue models too.

D.