Subject: Re: UKNM: SMS Location based Sales
From: Ben Thompson
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:23:08 GMT

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 12:36:50PM -0000, Rebecca Rabin wrote:
> The ZagMe trial at Lakeside Thurrock was done by SpotFlash (backed by
> Carphone Warehouse). However, it wasn't a location based service as
> shoppers had to subscribe to ZagMe by SMS when they were in the centre and
> then tell them how many hours they were planning to be in the centre for -
> hardly location based. You are right that real location based services
are
> not yet possible and are likely to be impacted by the Data Protection Act.

Well, Orange are about to launch location based services and they are WAP
rather than SMS based (i.e. the person is clearly requesting the information
prior to it being sent). I can't see any problems under the DPA in this
circumstance as the information doesn't need to be recorded (after all
Barclay's hardly needs to store that I've just requested the location of the
nearest cashpoint relative to Kings Cross Station say).

As an aside location based stuff is a pig to do correctly. Its hard enough
trying to do work based on phone numbers (believe it or not call id
forwarding is optional extra (and an expensive extra) on Nokia's WAP
Gateway.

Ben

PS Merry Christmas everyone. This year's Christmas pressie is running
slightly late (It'll be before 12th night tho). And may next year be less
interesting than this year.

PPS The Dotcom Monopoly sets are nice (they arrived on Monday which was too
late to do anything with this week). Four are sat here in the office.
Details when I'm back from Christmas.

--
Ben Thompson
babyhippo.com

t: 44 191 230 1213
m: 44 7976 768221

ADictive – online advertising for everyone

With ADictive's 120 content related categories to choose from,
companies of ALL sizes can now target their online advertising,
reduce wastage and save ££££s. Result!

Click through to http://www.adictive.com to find out more.