Subject: Re: UKNM: Advertising A Website?
From: Tom Hukins
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:11:58 GMT

At 10:57 23/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Was anyone else surprised to see 'topjobs' advertising their website on
>Channel 4 at the weekend?
>
>It's the first time that I have seen a TV advert dedicated purely to
>advertising a website, and I would really question the logic behind it.
>(Unless there is some link with Channel 4 and the site?)

There have been some excellent responses to this post already, but here's
another idea:

Topjobs might be trying to raise brand awareness amongst the offline
community.

When someone says "Internet" to you, what do you think of? Those of us who
have been online a while will come up with all sorts of responses; those
who haven't been online yet and are eager to find out more about the Net
will be more impressionable.

What can be found on the Internet? How many of those www.click.click.click
addresses can you list? Try asking that to someone who's never been online.
Advertising can be used to shape the public's perception of what the
Internet is used for.

A few years from now, there will be many Internet users who are not users
right now. When they go online, they will have limited awareness of how
they can use it. Brand advertising aimed at suggesting ways these people
can use the Net may be effective in bringing new users to advertisers' sites.

I haven't seen the advert in question, so I don't know whether it seems
like Topjobs are trying to do this or not. Half the TV ads I see have Mr
Motivator in; I must be watching the wrong shows..

Tom

--

Learn how to create amazing web sites

Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/