Subject: Re: UKNM: Advertising A Website?
From: Mark Curtis
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:58:43 GMT

Felix wrote.....

>When we created the Snickers web site it was promoted exclusively on-line
>for eight months by Underwired (www.underwired.com) with 140k page
>impressions per week after nine weeks average. Underwired now does all of
>our clients' on-line promotions: indeed our own non-commercial site
>(www.head-space.com) is an exclusively on-line brand with some 100k page
>impressions per month (for a high-end designers' site). Off-line promotion,
>for example for the Snickers site, made almost no difference to traffic
>levels. On-line banners, however, boosted traffic by a significant
>percentage, with click-through rates of around 6-8 percent.

But its horses for courses isn't it. We're discovering right now that
off-line ads work very well for Screentrade (www.insurance.co.uk). And to no
surprise the single best effect comes from great press coverage, though you
can't build a campaign around the latter. I'm not suggesting that off is
therefore better than on, just that in this case the mix appears to work.