Subject: RE: UKNM: the absurd economics of the net
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 19:52:18 GMT

At 6:50 pm +0000 3/2/99, Sajid Mohammed wrote:

>I haven't read The Economist as such, ......
>
>All economics are absurd anyway - anyone who's ever read Robert Anton
>Wilson's views on money will know what I'm talking about.

I find that reading New Media Age and Revolution helps me build a better
understanding of the new media revolution that we seem to be involved in.

Having subscribed to The Economist for twenty years or so, I find it helps
me understand the complexity and extraordinary importance of economics, and
some of the terrible mistakes that have been made around the world through
not taking it seriously.

As I talk to venture capitalists, bankers and lawyers in London, NY, Boston
and on the west coast, I get the impression that almost everybody is trying
desperately hard to make sense of the internet equity price bubble. The
Economist articles last week were very helpful in this regard, and coming
right after Alan Greenspan's speech (which I have not read; is there a
transcript online?) I think it is going to be taken very seriously.

We all know that the internet/new media/blah blah blah/etc. is creating
enormous opportunities and upsetting the commercial status quo in a number
of areas. High risk and volatility always point to potentially very large
rewards, but also to a lot of ventures that will crash and burn. This tends
to be one of the few things that everybody can agree on, whether they are
MBAs from Harvard, LBS or Theseus, bar-room experts down at the Dog and Duck,
or party-goers at Madame JoJos.

I think the huge problem right now is that we all know a market adjustment
is coming, and (according to The Economist) the US market is currently being
driven by investors who are not all well-informed and not able to make good
trade-offs between risk and reward, and between short term vs. long term
returns.

This makes it quite difficult for investors to price new ventures; should
one assume a short-term correction, and look for long-term investments, or
should one rush to fund ventures, and maybe even get to an IPO, before
the bubble bursts?

There are a LOT of large venture funds in the US, and also in the UK and
continental Europe, that appear to be agonising over these questions
right now. Quite a few very large funds have been raised in the last
year or so, and they have a lot of money looking for ventures (the funds
that were looking to make 2 or 3 million pound investments in early 1998
now aren't interested in doing less then 10m).

I don't think there is anything absurd about all this; after all, we have
better information now than we had at any time in the past; the financial
and economic underpinnings of decision-making are way, way more solid
now than there were, even as recently as the mid-eighties.

It is, however, all very very difficult. Many mistakes will be made, and
remember that it is your pension fund and mine that are putting money
into all those new VC funds; if your employer is not venture-backed then
you can be pretty sure your major customers and suppliers are.

Oh well... enough rambling... at this rate I won't get around to checking
out today's contribution from the one true source of insight into the new
economy: Dilbert.

Cheers
Sean