Subject: Re: UKNM: the absurd economics of the net
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 19:38:59 GMT

Steve Johnston/IMRG wrote:

> <snip>
> >How the Hell do you ensure that the banners are read?
>
> >Which brings me back to my favourite rant. BANNERS JUST SUCK.
>
> The results of an online survey of 12-16 year olds we have been running
> since the 19th Jansupport your contention entirely. Answer 11, 78% do not
> click on banners):
> http://www.imrg.org/survey/answers/youth.htm
>
> As I suspect there are very few 12-16 year olds on this list, so can I
> request you do not fill in a response. But for those interested, the

and probably only 1 17-year old, eh, Tim? :)

> question page is here:
> http://www.imrg.org/survey/answers/youth.htm
>
> I've tried such heresy on this audience before, they don't like it. Or
> rather they ignore it.

Yep, I noticed that. A debate about what kinds of *new* things we could
do with New Media seems impossible here.

Banner-advertising are so prevalent because it's the closest thing to
old advertising models. It's not effective with users, but it's very
effective with people who previously developed and sold advertising for
other media, because it's the smallest leap of imagination/context shift
for them.

<jumping threads>

incidentally, Mike, this is the problem I have with New Media Age. It
currently believes in the internet as an advertising medium, a bit like
tv, a bit like billboards. I believe that advertising will always be a
part of the internet, but a marginal one, continually frustrated by ad
avoidance. And advertisers don't seem to be understanding that ad
avoidance happens for a very very valid reason: people are sick of being
lied to, patronised and insulted, in order to sell them crap.
NMA is currently getting aboard the e-commerce wagon, but that's another
small part of the story.

Get a bigger picture.

By the way, in case anyone thinks I just have in for NMA, I think
Revolution! is a piece of worthless crap too.

but I'm just a silly naive (if increasingly cynical) idealist.

stefan

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski 0370 67 70 58