Subject: Re: UKNM: shopping solutions
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:32:09 GMT

>Hi Fellow Net Geeks
>
>I would like some opinions on client side javascript shopping systems
>against server side compiled or scripted solutions. My own view is that
>server side solutions give added robustness (indeed all my sites are server
>side) as they are browser independent and the slight loss of performance is
>a price well worth paying. What does the rest of the community feel / have
>experience with? Would anyone tout client side to a client? Do clients know
>the difference? Is the world round?

Client-side javascript is fairly risky, as you don't have any control over
future versions of the javascript interpreter, or on whether users disable
javascript.

While only a very small proportion of users disable javascript and/or
cookies on their own browsers, these users can create a disproportionately
large overhead in terms of support (calls and email along the lines of
"your site doesn't work!!").

There is also a significant risk that during the next net privacy scare,
hacker scare or virus scare various newspapers and magazines may start
explaining to novice users why Javascript is dangerous and how to switch
it off. They may be entirely right, they may be completely wrong, but
if the article gets published then users will follow the instructions.

Finally, if you want your shopping solution to be available within
intranets, bear in mind that there are some internal IT departments out
there with a very pre-perestroika view of user empowerment. They may
disable javascript and cookies in the browsers they distribute internally.

Cheers
Sean