Subject: Re: UKNM: How much is enough
From: Nabil Shabka
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:09:30 GMT

All seems rather like road building. Making roads bigger just increases
the amount of cars that use them, hence the scrubbing of the planned A40
widening. Analogy - more cars equals more page views. As far as I can
see, the best way to decide on bandwidth is to constantly monitor
consumption and upgrade accordingly and in anticipation. Along with
this, always gauge bandwidth consumption on spikes, not averages. If a
site's traffic increased the moment bandwidth was increased then that
site's bandwidth must not have been right to begin with.

Also important to note is that connectivity at the other end(client) is
just as important as server bandwidth. If the client has a slow
machine, slow modem or slow provider, they will suffer slow connections
no matter what your connectivity is. We have cable modems in the US
pick up our site at hundreds of K a sec, while someone in the UK could
be trickling through. The browser people use also makes a huge
difference. Netscape and IE are fairly bloated and seem very slow when
compared to a browser like Opera. With Opera, by the time you take your
finger off the mouse the page is loaded. let's hope Geko does the same.

Nabil

PS Don't rush out and get Opera just yet though, always a caveat, it
doesn't support a number of standards.

Sean Phelan wrote:

> At 4:14 pm +0000 12/2/99, Jim Sterne wrote:
> >
> >Every time they doubled their capacity (both servers and
> >pipes) they doubled their pageviews. They both said that
> >people have a time limit when surfing. People will spend
> >only X minutes at your site and if you can show them 6
> >pages in that X minutes, that's all they'll look at.
> >However, if you can serve up 12 pages in X minutes,
> >they will look at 12 pages.
>
> Absolutely. That is exactly what has happened here at Multi Media
> Mapping; a bandwidth hike immediately causes a traffic hike. Same
> thing happened (and this really surprised me) when we rearranged
> some servers and moved our main relational database off the primary
> web server and on to a dedicated machine.
>
> Although the maps didn't go out any quicker, all the local info was
> being retrieved and displayed way faster, with the result that users
> browsed it far more.
>
> Which begs the question, especially in this group, of how advertisers
> will feel about such things. If Joe User comes to our site and
> retrieves twice as many pages now we have tuned up our servers, we
> will send twice as many banners, and the many advertisers paying our
> (very moderate) CPM will spend twice as much with us. However, Joe
> user is probably less likely to click on a banner now he is getting
> pages even more quickly. He is certainly not twice as likely to
> click.
>
> Hm; maybe we should lower the bandwidth on our advertising-supported
> pages and increase it for our fee-based users :-) Except that would
> lead to a massive stream of complaints :-(
>
> Cheers
> Sean

> Sean Phelan seanatmultimap [dot] com http://www.multimap.com
> phone (within UK): 0171 433 0460 fax (UK): 0171 209 5194
> phone (Int'l): +44 171 433 0460 fax: +44 171 209 5194

Nabil Shabka
BiblioTech
631-633 Fulham Road
London, SW6 5UQ