Subject: Re: UKNM: Response down - but aren't we just growing up?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:46:22 GMT

Mike Butcher <mikebatcentaur [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

>As you'll see below from a new Jupiter report, reponse to marketing email -
>whether it's spam or involves some level of targeting - is falling, just as
>response to ad banners is gradually falling.
>
>But isn't this just a function of a growing medium? Sure response rates are
>falling - but the first ads on TV got much more interest than they do now.
>Thoughts anyone?

Response down? Not in my experience. Response to the banner campaigns and
sponsorships we run gets higher and higher as we get more and more
proficient at using the medium.

If the mean average banner response is falling it's because advertisers are
allowing their agencies to book bigger campaigns with less precision and to
rely on sloppy banner creative. Or worse still, they do it themselves with a
little persuasion and flattery from the media owners.

Internet advertising works well if you know what you are doing.
Unfortunately The bulk of UK banner ad impressions are handled by people who
don't. Responses are falling because we haven't grown up yet, we've just got
a bit bigger and bolder and have more pocket money to spend.

Ray Taylor +44 181 639 0015
NMC/Adplan www.nmcadplan.com
tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com