Subject: Re: UKNM: PR Agencies
From: David Bentley
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:11:45 GMT

In the inimitable style of Mr. Magdalinski....

Manou, I appreciate your need to appoint a good PR agency for your business
and I appreciate your need to research, as far as you need, all possible PR
firms in the marketplace. For this UKNM is a useful resource.

But to send a mail to UKNM, outlining the list of candidates (in order of
preference!) and asking an open list of c.400 people what they think, is
IMHO far from good business practice. Having been both a client and agency
person - from a client perspective, I wouldn't have dreamt of displaying
this sort of information for the world to see or to collectively decide
upon and, from an agency perspective, if I found out that a prospective
client had acted in this manner then I would pull-out of the pitch. It is
a very bad reflection of how a relationship might develop.

Firstly - you are paid (I assume - and with the title of Marketing Director
probably - quite handsomely) to determine for yourself the worthiness of a
supplier for your business.

Secondly - if you feel unable to accept the (1.0.1) task of appointing a
supplier, please don't ask us what you should do. We don't know your
business and we don't know your objectives, as such any advise is purely
subjective.

Thirdly - if you would like some informed and truly constructive
opinions/help identify a consultant and pay them for their advice.

Finally - relationships between agencies should always be collaborative and
respectful of both parties. Many clients use agencies as 'the people who
can do the work that I don't have time/ability to do' - bad start... bad
ending... bad attitude...

I hope for your sake that no-one from one of those agencies is lurking on
this list.

I despair.

David