Subject: Re: UKNM: Creativity
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:17:09 GMT

Elizabeth Van Couvering <elizabethatjup [dot] com> said:

>When are we going to come up with strategies that measure brand impact as
>well as cost-per-click? What would such a measurement platform look like?

Tools for measuring brand impact already exist, for other media, so what's
the difference. Brand is brand whether you put it in a web banner or shout
it from a street corner. The problem is that brand impact measurement
requires investment on the part of the advertiser and/or media owner. Since
UK ad budgets are typically below £20,000 this quarter then it's difficult
to justify spending a similar amount or more on research.

Further, most web advertising is still about building traffic alone. Which
is a stupid waste of money, considering the high cost of UK inventory. Once
UK advertisers and agencies learn about online branding, start to spend on
it, start to insist on ROI, then we can look at measuring it.

Till then, we are just playing at it, if that.

Ray Taylor +44 181 639 0015 tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com
We are now recruiting two online media planners/buyers. Contact me if you
are interested. Salaries range £16,000 - £24,000. More if you can justify
it.