Subject: Re: UKNM: Testing HTML Banners
From: Sam Michel
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:10:01 GMT

At 10:45 23/02/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Problem: If you access the internet from a voice or mobile connection then
>it's a pain to be sent html banners attached to email for reasons which I
>would have thought were obvious.
>
>Solution: two versions of the service, choose either plain text or html.
>Let the user decide!

Good solution, but difficult to administer giving list serving packages
that are on the market, without considerable (bust possible) amounts of
customisation.

>The problem with the sponsorship message at the foot of emails is that
>after you have seen it once or twice you become blind to it. What I would
>like to see at the foot of UKNM messages is a rotating hot news story from
>the biz and I think I have suggested this to Sam at some point in the past
>on behalf of a client (please don't mention the name, Sam), but nothing
>came of it.

Unfortunately it's not possible to do per-message customisation with the
way the current list server is configured - I'll spare the technical
details. Over the next few weeks UKNM and the other lists will move to a
new machine which has more capabilities, hence asking the question.

I agree with you regarding a useful news story or even rotating commercial
message would be more effective that the existing text message. However,
the current message does have value, probably more branding than response
but given the value of the subscriber list here, that's pretty powerful (I
would say that though 8-)

>The advantage of using the space as a sponsorship by offering news
>snippets is that you create an advertisement that people _want_ to look
>at. That way UKNM users benefit, Chinwag benefits (from the ad fee), and
>the advertiser benefits from a potentially very high response rate. If the
>news bits are interesting enough, people will click on them.

So far the responses have either been very anti-HTML email or indifference.
I'm not convinced by banners in discussion emails, for starters from a
purely technical perspective they're very inefficient. Essentially I'm
after a solution which works all ways...

- for sales enquiries <salesatchinwag [dot] com (mailto:salesatchinwag [dot] com)>
- for general feedback <feedbackatchinwag [dot] com (mailto:feedbackatchinwag [dot] com)>