Subject: Re: UKNM: Testing HTML Banners
From: Sam Michel
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:45:32 GMT

At 14:55 23/02/00 +0000, Trevor May wrote:
>Yes. What also annoys me is when mailing lists don't let me know what
>email address is subscribed to their mailing list. When you own a number
>of domains with a *atwhatever [dot] com redirecting to your email account and
>they don't tell me which email address has been signed up I can't
>unsubscribe!

From a technical perspective the list only knows the _exact_ email address
you gave it, it can't always tell the difference between
*atmail [dot] whatever [dot] com and *atwhatever [dot] com although some of the newer programs try.

I'm very cautious about providing access to finding out which emails are on
the list, as you can imagine this would provide very useful fodder for
spammers and email marketers without scruples. There is a function at
Chinwag http://www.chinwag.com which will allow you to enter your email
address and have your subscriptions sent to that address, it's time
consuming if you have many addresses, but seemed to me to be the most
secure way round the problem.

>Also, it's not particularly nice when outsiders helpfully sign me up to
>mailing lists. A problem increased when one owns sfz.com. dsfdszatsfz [dot] com
>is quite a popular choice by those not wishing to give their real address.

If it's any consolation I've had the same problem with Listbot after some
nice Turkish chap decided to add me to several of his spam lists. I think
spam in general is going to become a much larger problem...anyone read the
recent article on the massive increase in spam from China as bandwidth and
access in that part of the world improves?

Toodle Pip

Sam