Subject: Re: UKNM: Terms & Conditions
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:07:33 GMT

Richard

I have just had to address the same issue - putting up reams of legalese
that nobody will ever read. Our lawyers have informed us that there are
a few reasons, but they mostly revolve around compliance with financial
regulatory bodies and the possibility of IPO-ing. During any form of
public offering, there will be a verification and due diligence process,
and our T&C's have been included to show that we are making best efforts
to inform users as to their rights, etc. Given that the site in
question comes under SEC rules and is offering a financially-based
product, this sounds fair enough. I am under the impression that web
pages are not considered as legal documents in any courts yet, and I
have heard that some US sites are being sued by users, despite having
what might be considered sufficient online documentation which should
have negated their claims, so they may not actually serve the direct
legal purpose for which they are intended, but they still have a place
in the regulatory and compliance realms. Ads are hardly legal docs, but
they still come covered with warnings if they are financially (and other
professional services) related, after all.

My own attitude is that it is probably worth having this stuff on a site
(if only to keep lawyers happy), but not in a way that thrusts it in a
users face and forces them to click on a button to acknowledge that they
have read it before continuing - this can only affect the users'
experience of the site, even if only marginally, and surely cannot make
any difference to the legal status. I have heard some marketers claim
that forcing users to jump through a T&C hoop reinforces the security
element of their brand values, but I'm not that convinced about that
one.

Still, it would be good to hear from some real lawyers on the subject,
especially those with experience in the states.

Aye
duncan

Richard Longhurst wrote:

> At the risk of posting the most boring message to UKNM since the last time
> somebody asked for a breakdown of browser useage, what do people think of the
> Terms & Conditions that come attached to so very many Web sites?

<SNIP>