Subject: Re: UKNM: Terms & Conditions
From: Speechrad
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:52:35 GMT

In a message dated 29/02/00 18:05:56 GMT Standard Time, carlatvardus [dot] com
writes:

<< Yep - many people don't read them, but they are vital. Like any product /
service sold or distributed - all come with "conditions". It does have legal
standing, because you usually can't buy or use a product until you have
checked the agreed with T's & C's box. This means that by law, you have
stated that you have understood limitations, etc to the product / service.
Any company can hold this up in court. Anyone who doesn't state "conditions"
is mad - you open yourself up to unlimited liability.

There is some useful advice at Graham Ross' etradelaw.com on the new Direct
Selling Directive. I'm surprised Graham hasn't replied to this himself - too
modest maybe.
Basically the directive gives the consumer far more rights than YOU thought
reasonable.

Graham put a Powerpoint Presentation on the site illustrating the main points
but it sometimes disappears when he is updating. You can get a copy from
www.NorthofWatford.com's site as well. This PP demo is zipped to save space
and also stop you accidentally running it on-line and eating my bandwidth. OK
so now you'll unzip it AND run it on-line.

There are a couple of basic points of selling on-line - the purchaser must
click to accept terms & conditions before purchase and it is wise not to
'offer for sale' as once someone agrees you are bound to provide at that
price - no get out's it's a contract! Offer for sale a Ferrarri for 1p by
accident and you could be forced to deliver (unless you go legally bankrupt).
What you should do is invite a bid or offer for tender. Get a lawyer to give
you an exact term.

You might also be breaking a law somewhere by offering (sorry inviting bids
for) goods that are legal here but not in another country. That might
seriously limit your future holiday plans once you've made your first million.
Remember, you probably won't get sued for selling Elivis Presley giftware
from a UK website but make a mint and that holiday or business trip
California (where you can copyright the names of dead people) could be
disrupted by some smart lawyer turning up at LAX with a law suit. This threat
was actually made by a lawyer to a friend selling Elvis Presley Boulevard
signs and he wasn't even using the Internet.

By the way, I'm not a lawyer and this is all just my opinion.

Thank goodness we just supply audio, now all I have to worry about is
copyright, libel, slander, PRS, MCPS and loonies upset by any opinion that
differs from those we broadcast like the pro gun lobby survivalist who
started flaming us when we mentioned a school gun incident in the US.

Michael
www.speechradio.com
Get free radio for your website