Subject: RE: site time calculations
From: Piers Beckley
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:41:52 -0000

> Subject: Site time calculations
> From: "Alex Bainbridge" <alex [dot] bainbridgeatfirst48 [dot] com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:04:50 -0000
>
> Is there some agreed method on calculating site time? Anyone remember
> statistical analysis? What if someone moves around your site
> for 10 mins -
> then stays stationary for a further hour - how long is their
> site visit?

Current abc// electronic (uk industry standard) guidelines for one session
is 30 minutes between page requests from the same IP address. If the next
request comes in after 29 minutes it's considered to be part of the same
session. After 31 minutes it's considered to be a separate visit.

As you mention in your next two paragraphs (snipped) this information is, in
fact, utterly meaningless.

Piers

BBC, unless specifically stated.