Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Re: Offline Verification of Credit Cards
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:21:19 -0000

> The 3-digits have nothing to do with non-customer present
> transactions. If someone was asking for that bit of information
> personally I'd run a mile from that site. The check is there to
> allow shops to check that the card is an original as they check
> the signature (as to its worth your guess is as good as mine).

NEC ask for this over the phone. But then their other checks stop only
inches short of asking for a DNA sample, birth certificate and a personal
recommendation from both Grandparents. None of this, "Hello, I'd like to buy
a computer, now, with my credit card please," malarkey.

Or maybe it was just me?

Robin

--
Robin Edwards