Subject: UKNM: Silicon Valley In Trouble?
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:36:14 GMT

If you've had any exposure to the VC culture in the UK, chances are
that you may have looked to Silicon Valley as a utopia where your idea
is more likely to get funding. Indeed, Keith Teare went over there to
set up Centraal who are behind RealNames.

However there is an article at News.com
(http://www.news.com/SpecialFeatures/0,5,27295,00.html) which outlines
a slowdown in the fortunes of the Valley, precipitated mainly (it
seems) by the South-East Asia downturn as well as other prevailing
economic factors such as the constant that computers and components
get cheaper and better/faster/smaller as times goes on as well as the
lack of skilled labour.

EETimes (http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19990105S0010) reported today
that there are 180,000 programming jobs waiting to be filled, but it
is proving to be problematic. This is no doubt due in part to the
permeation of IT into every sphere of commerce as well as Y2K/Euro -
Somerfield are having to go all the way to *Australia* to recruit Y2K
programers.

Dark clouds ahead? I hope not as the Valley has been the engine room
of the new Internet revolution. I suspect that the hardware
manufacturers are going to come off worst initially, but I suspect
that we all may feel the chill. But if companies in the area are
losing their competitive edge, does this open up opportunities for us
this side of the Atlantic? Just a thought...

Sajid Mohammed