Subject: Re: UKNM: and while I'm being nostalgic...
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:53:00 GMT

---Steve Bowbrick <steveatwebmedia [dot] com> wrote:

> gopher://spinaltap.micro.umn.edu:70/11/fun/Movies
>
> Check out this live, working gopher site

This takes me back...I knew something was afoot when I went to a
Gopher site and was politely informed that the Gopher service was
ending due to increased user demand for the World Wide Web...

As for your Sliders-style gedankenexperiment, I vaguely remember
TurboGopher on the Mac which was a stab at a friendlier interface and
I'm sure Gopher would have been retro-fitted with hypertext and inline
images eventually. To paraphrase Charles Fort, it steam engines when
it's steam engine time (Fort was referring to the fact that several
inventors developed steam engines independently of James Watt).

SM