Subject: Re: UKNM: top sites...
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:59:15 GMT

Freeserve is one of the top three, or possibly the top on latest figures.

Suggest checking New Media Age's Traffic Update.

Or you are welcome to take a look at
http://www.eyeconomy.com/resources/mediamen.pl - a database of the top 100+
UK media owners, although it is probably not as up to date as NMA. We rely
on information provided by the media owners so cannot verify figures.

The ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation) publishes audits for many of the top
sites but these are done infrequently and so are always out of date. And not
all sites are ABC registered (it's a print magazine thing, mainly).

Bear in mind that "traffic" usually means page impressions whereas a more
meaningful metric would be user sessions or some such. Some sites, such as
games and chat site, produce a high number of impressions in relation to the
number of users. I always work on the basis that people are the most
important thing.

I don't know whether the UK offshoot of the Internet Advertising Bureau has
tackled this issue but it would be nice if they did.

I would personally favour approaches that allowed for independent audits and
sample research being conducted to establish reliable user data as well as
compiling representative demographics. It would not be difficult to do but
would require a degree of investment on the part of advertisers and media
owners.

Ah well, dream on!

Ray Taylor rayateyeconomy [dot] com +44 20 8249 6313
www.eyeconomy.com the online media agency